To get the most out of your expensive whole beans and fancy espresso machine, you will need to invest in a conical burr coffee grinder. Although it is possible to spend upwards of $400 on a grinder, several models under $200 will suit the needs of most java aficionados.
To provide you with the most helpful reviews of top conical burr grinders, we chose to look at both electric and manual models. We included our top pick for the most budget-friendly, and our top overall pick in each class.
If you need to invest in a less expensive machine, don’t miss our review of the best burr grinders under $100.
Here are our top grinders under $200:
Breville BCG820BSSXL Pro Coffee Grinder – Top Pick
Breville is a long-trusted name in coffee, offering some of the best top of the line grinders and other coffee gear. This is a versatile, powerful and reliable conical burr grinder that has the kinds of stand out features you are looking for in a high-end grinder – without breaking the bank.
There are 60 coarseness settings to choose from with this machine. Nice and course for a french press application, or ultra-fine for a rich and complex Arabic brew – you can have it all with this grinder.
- Stainless steel conical burrs for durability and precision
- 60 settings for a precision grind in a full range of sizes (!!)
- Grind timer for one-touch portion control
- 16 Oz. hopper is perfect for high volume drinkers
- Easy disassembly with a special brush for cleaning included
- Four container options: portafilter, filter basket, grind container or paper filter
- 165 Watts for excellent power
- 1-year manufacturers warranty
- Some customers have noted that the dosing timer feature is not always accurate
Capresso 560.04 Infinity Conical Burr Grinder – Cheaper Option
Getting high marks for both features and reliability, this is about as inexpensive as you want to go for an electric conical burr model. It comes in at just under $100 which includes commercial grade stainless steel burrs which give a long-lasting precision grind.
This is an excellent choice for a low-cost grinder with the basic features you need for making a great cup of Joe. If you need to keep your costs even lower, you may need to make do with flat burr system – if so, check out the KRUPS GX5000.
- Great deal for a conical burr grinder
- 16 settings to choose from for coarseness control
- Commercial-grade stainless steel burrs
- Easy disassembly for thorough cleaning
- 5 Oz. Hopper, 4 Ox. Container
- Timer to help dial in the exact amount of grounds you need
- Compact design for small kitchens
- Excellent even grind, especially good at very fine grinds, such as for Arabic coffee
- 1-year limited warranty
- Plastic hopper and container will contribute to static
- Some customers have complained this machine does not have good range of coarser setting
You may have already noticed; most manual grinders use a horizontal grinding motion. The problem with that is that you are trying to hold the model upright, while also applying side to side force with the crank. The horizontal design of the grinding mechanism on this model is genius. It takes a great deal of trouble out of the process.
If you plan on buying a grinder for someone with weak or arthritic hands and wrists, this is definitely the best manual burr coffee grinder for you!
- Vertical operation is much easier on hands and wrists than horizontal cranks
- Large range of 15 coarseness settings
- Ceramic conical burrs
- Glass hopper and container – cuts down on static and shows off quality
- Easy to pull apart and clean for efficient operation
- Excellent design elements for a very stylish, high-end look
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
- If you want ultra-fine grounds, plan to work any manual grinder for several minutes per serving
JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder – Budget Option
If you can get a decent burr grinder for under $25, you have to be pretty happy. This is an excellent choice because of the versatility, reliability, and portability unique to this model. There are 18 settings to go from course to espresso fine. However, do keep in mind that manual grinders take some serious elbow grease on the finer settings!
The elegant design of the JavaPresse gets points for modern style as well as for being travel ready. You can fill the hopper and then lock the whole unit down. Yes, you can even toss it in your purse or briefcase if being away from your favorite beans gives you the willies!
- Lots of range with 18 coarseness settings
- Perfect for those that travel, especially outdoor adventurers
- Super quiet operation
- Ceramic burrs for durability
- 100% money-back guarantee from the manufacturer
- Expect to put some effort into grinding on the finer settings
- The hopper and container are small, better for travel than high volume drinkers
- Horizontal grinding motion is a bit awkward